- 10 figs
- 400g puff pastry
- 400ml milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod split an scraped
- 75g sugar
- 90g flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Cream the egg yolks with a whisk with the vanilla seeds and sugar until pale, place the milk onto a low heat with the vanilla pod and essence.
- Add the flour onto the egg yolks and sugar mixing till smooth. Pour the milk onto the eggs and flour, whisk in till smooth, return to the heat, and cook on a low temperature until it thickens approx 12 minutes, bring to a simmer then stir with a wooden spoon, there should be no lumps.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and cover with a sheet of cling film and leaving to cool. Roll out the puff pastry to 3mm thick on a flat surface an either cut 4 large discussing a side plate as a template, or leave as a large rectangle shape.
- Leave the pastry to rest for 1/2 an hour in the fridge on a sheet of baking parchment, then spread onto the pastry cream.
- Slice the figs to a 2mm thickness laying them flat onto the pastry. The oven needs to be between 200-220c, make sure that you have a tray in the oven as you will place this straight onto the tray into the oven.
- As then the bottom of the pastry will cook instantly and not be soggy, cook for approx 20-25 minutes / until golden and caramelized.